Monday, August 13, 2012

Duck Tape Surfboards

Just recently I have started making my own duck tape surfboards. This all started back in December. I was at cable crew member Tucker's house and we had just finished a blank for a surfboard. We put it aside and planned to work on it later. Skip ahead to this spring. Tucker and I were to lazy to glass the board so we busted out the duck tape and covered it up(this is the black one). With a quick spray paint job it was ready to hit the water. We were also too lazy to add fins so we had ourselves a junky, duck tape surfboard. I tried it a few days later and it worked really well. It held its line and went really fast through flat sections. So #1worked our so well I decided to make another. I got two 1 inch pieces of insulation foam from Crowley(thanks to his family business the lumber barn), I glued them together and started sanding. I then dug fin boxes and glued in a pair of our first skeg fins. I finished it of with a roll of grey duck tape. I rode #2 today and it was sick. Not as fast as #1 but it held its line and turned well. I am now looking to improve the stiffness of the foam and work on new channels and concave. So here are my first two duck tape surfboards. The black one is 4'3 and the grey one is 3'10. -LARS

No comments:

Post a Comment